Monday, November 24, 2008

This is a reply to Johnny P. Christensen's post regarding the loss of dynamic range from the 1994 remasters of the albums of the Peter Gabriel era of Genesis to the new 1970-1975 box set, which in itself is regarding a one-star review from said author.

He cites "Fountain of Salmacis. His waveform of "Fountain of Salmacis" is not the one I have in Audacity. Let's see what mine looks like for the Box Set version:



There are still some dynamics, as you can see. Especially among the "Crescendo" areas in the left.

Unfortunately, I do not have the 1994 version of Nursery Cryme for comparison.

However, I do have the 1994 version of Foxtrot, so I can give a real Apples-to-Apples comparison for both versions of "Supper's Ready."

Here's the 1994 version of "Supper's Ready:"



and here is the 2008 version of "Supper's Ready:"



As you can clearly see, even though there are some dynamics lost going from 1994 to 2008, the 2008 version is still pretty dynamic and has plenty of "high" and "low" areas, only that the "low" areas are higher and the "high" areas are way too high.

Still, both "Fountain of Salmacis" and "Supper's Ready" circa 2008 are rather dynamic, and I stand by my original statement when I said

No Dynamics left? Are you kidding me?

My audacity waveform for "Supper's Ready" and "Fountain of Salmacis" would disagree with you...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home